DCSIMG

Man who broke up kids’ fight hit one boy in face

Mohammed Shabir at Kirklees Magistrates Court.

Mohammed Shabir at Kirklees Magistrates Court.

The mother of a seven-year-old boy who was assaulted by a 42-year-old man said she was “disgusted” after her son’s attacker was given a community order.

Kirklees Magistrates’ Court heard Mohammed Shabir struck the boy in the face after he saw him sat astride another boy and “striking blows” during a fight at a children’s play area in Batley.

The assault victim, who cannot be name, suffered a bloody nose in the incident on June 5 last year.

Shabir denied common assault, but was convicted after a trial at the same court on January 14.

Magistrates yesterday sentenced the married father of four to a 12-month community order and said he must do 15 days “low level” unpaid work.

Shabir, of Asquith Fields, Batley, was also told to pay his victim £100 compensation.

And magistrates imposed a restraining order banning Shabir from contacting his victim or his victim’s parents.

After the hearing, the victim’s mother said: “I’m absolutely disgusted a the sentence he got.

“When two kids are fighting, you don’t even have to touch them.

“If he had said to my little boy, ‘What are you doing?’ he would have stopped straight away. There was no need for him to hit a child in the way he did.”

Shabir, who has no previous convictions, was dressed in a black jacket, read and white checked shirt, blue jeans and white pumps for yesterday’s hearing.

Prosecuting, Vanessa Schofield told the court the young victim attended Shabir’s trial as a witness.

She added: “Two boys, unfortunately, got in to a fight.” Mrs Schofield added: “He (Shabir) pulled the children away from each other.

“Unfortunately, instead of leaving it there, he hit the boy (who had been sat astride the other boy).”

Stuart Field, for Shabir, said his client had seen one boy ”striking blows” to the other boy.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page