A man was “extremely lucky” to escape serious injury after being rescued by firefighters as he slept through a fire at his Leeds flat.
The man, in his 30s, failed to wake up despite a smoke going off at the eighth floor flat on Gipton Gate West in the early hours of August 27.
A passerby had called the fire service after seeing smoke coming from the windows of the flat at about 4.15am.
When crews from Gipton and Leeds fire stations arrived, they had to break in through the door before dragging the man out.
The fire had started after a chip pan was left cooking on a hob.
The man had treatment at the scene for smoke inhalation but declined hospital treatment.
Watch commander Chris Rose, from Gipton fire station, said: “He didn’t respond to the smoke alarm. He was extremely lucky.”
There was heavy smoke damage to the flat.