An elderly woman was “very lucky” to escape relatively unharmed after a fire broke out at her home in Leeds.
The woman, aged 75, was upstairs in her semi-detached property on Ederoyd Drive in Pudsey when food she had been cooking caught light and set fire to the kitchen curtains.
Watch commander Tony Pearson, of Stanningley fire station, said she had to battle her way through smoke to get out of the house through the kitchen door.
“She’s a very lucky lady because she had no smoke detectors in the property,” he said.
“It’s vital that people have smoke alarms as an early warning could be crucial.”
Firefighters, who were called at about 9am, spent more than an hour dealing with incident.
The woman was taken to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.
Mr Pearson said the kitchen was extensively damaged.