Leeds teenager killed by power cable

editorial image

A teenager was killed by 275,000 volts when it is believed he was trying to steal cabling at a Leeds electricity sub-station.

The 16-year-old local youth is thought to have been with three others when he suffered the fatal injuries at a CE Electric UK sub-station off Skelton Grange Road, Stourton.

His body was found by a security guard on a routine patrol introduced after a spate of thefts from sub-stations. Police were called shortly before 1.45pm on Sunday.

A CE Electric spokesman said: “A 16-year-old youth suffered fatal injuries after tampering with the electrical cabling.”

He added that recent thefts had left “thousands of residents without electricity and in some cases household appliance damage”.

Geoff Earl, head of safety at CE Electric said: “A youth died it is believed while attempting to steal copper components from our network. The circumstances of the incident have had devastating consequences for his family.

“On average we deal with four incidents of metal theft daily. We can not stress enough how dangerous it is to tamper with electrical equipment on the network. Our sites are clearly market with “Danger of Death” signs for a very important reason. We are pleading with these thieves to think about the consequences of their actions and how much they are risking for such a small return, especially in the light of this tragedy. You really can not put a price on our own life.”

Of 600 theft incidents dealt with by CE Electric so far this year, 279 were in West Yorkshire.

A spokesman for North West Leeds said: “Three youths were interviewed under caution regardiong possible theft matters.”

Only four weeks ago ago the Yorkshire Evening Post carried the personal warning of 22-year-old James Sorby who suffered appalling burns and life-changing injuries when shocked by 22,000 volts while trying to steal cabling from an electric sub-station in a disused Royal Mail sorting office also in Skelton Grange Road.

Back to the top of the page