DCSIMG

Leeds parents and carers urged to learn first aid over the holidays

Michaela Hamilton with son Samuel Hosty

Michaela Hamilton with son Samuel Hosty

Parents and carers across Leeds are being urged to learn first aid to help cope with an emergency during the summer holidays,

Stark figures show nearly one-third of parents in Leeds had a child involved in an accident needing first aid during the holidays.

But one-third of those lacked the skills to be able to help their children.

Today the Yorkshire Evening Post is calling on parents across the city to arm themselves with basic first aid skills to help their children in an emergency.

The YEP has teamed up with St John Ambulance for our First Aid For All campaign which aims to teach lifesaving skills to 500 people across the city.

Sue Killen, CEO at St John Ambulance, said: “Parents who learn first aid gain the peace of mind to let their children enjoy everything childhood has to offer, as well as the knowledge to look after them, whatever happens. “Young people should be able to enjoy an exciting, carefree summer - learning some skills will help to make that a reality.”

Experts have found at least four in 10 mothers are unlikely to let their children out on a cycle rise with friends while more than a quarter are likely to ban tree-climbing.

Eight in 10 parents agree first aid is an important skill to learn.

More than 350 readers have already taken part in a first aid course to help them cope in emergency situations.

This vital training could potentially help them to be the difference between a life lost and a life saved.

And now we are calling on even more readers to pledge their support and help us reach our next milestone of 400 first aiders in Leeds.

Nationally, fewer than one in 10 people have the skills to help save a life.

Experts fear it would only take something as severe as the death of a loved one to actually make people learn basic first aid skills.

The YEP recently revealed that a West Yorkshire schoolboy hailed his mum as a hero for saving his life.

Quick-thinking Michaela Hamilton sprang into action as her son Samuel Hosty desperately struggled to breathe after choking on a sweet while visiting a Leeds shopping centre.

Samuel struggled to breathe but his cool-headed mum hit him on the back to dislodge the sweet from his throat during a visit to the White Rose Shopping Centre.

But the 44-year-old was so shaken by the incident that she booked herself on to a first aid course that night.

The Holy Trinity Primary School pupil thanked his mum and said: “She’s my hero and she is awesome.

“I love her and I just want to say thank you.

“It was quite scary and it just happened so quickly.”

Michaela, who lives in Ossett, added: “He just started to choke on some rock and it was the size of a ten pence piece.

“His face was just in pure shock and he shook his head when I asked him if he could breathe.

“Afterwards he told me he thought he was dying and I just wondered what would have happened if the rock hadn’t come out.”

LEARN TO BE A LIFESAVER

The Yorkshire Evening Post has teamed up with St John Ambulance to train an army of lifesavers in Leeds.

We are offering a special discounted £20 course for readers to learn basic first aid skills as part of our First Aid For All campaign.

To book your place on one of our special courses , telephone 01924 262 726 and press option four and quote discount code 20EFAAA.

Courses will be held at the Shine Business Centre, Harehills Road, on August 6, August 18, August 29, September 10, September 19, and September 26.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news