DCSIMG

Leeds fire couple stranded on balcony

A man and a woman were left trapped on their balcony after a fire broke out in their bedroom.

The incident happened at 3am today in Far Headingley.

Fire crews were called to Hollin Lane and discovered the couple sheltering on the second storey balcony.

Blue Watch Commander Richard Lightowler, from Cookridge Station, said: “A fire broke out in the bedroom and the couple woke up but were unable to get out of the room other than by going onto the balcony, where they were trapped.

“We were able to extinguish the fire and led them down to safety. They were both in their 20s, they were taken to St James’s Hospital suffering severe smoke inhalation.

“They have had a lucky escape, it’s a good job they woke up when they did.

“We would always advise people to fit smoke alarms in their properties, anyone wanting free advice can call their local fire station.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page