DCSIMG

Leeds doorstep shooting: New arrests UPDATED

Armed police have arrested two men and a girl in connection with the shooting of a former Leeds publican on his doorstep.

Armed police were involved in the arrests in Leeds – 24 hours after 51-year-old Christopher Wright was blasted at his back door in Red Hall Chase, Whinmoor.

* Click here to read latest Letters to the YEP Editor.

Two 23-year-old men and a 17-year-old girl were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.

* Click here for latest YEP sport headlines.

In one of the raids in Gatelands Lane, Shadwell, armed police and dog handlers sealed off the street between 11am and 6pm.

* Click here to watch latest YEP news and sport video reports.

Within hours of the shooting a 17-year-old youth had been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

* Click here for latest YEP news and sport picture slideshows.

The two men were later released without charge, but yesterday the two 17-year-olds were still being questioned.

* Click here for latest YEP sport headlines.

Father-of-three Mr Wright was still in a "serious, but stable" condition in a Leeds hospital where he was taken after the shooting at 9.30pm on Tuesday.

Until 2009 Mr Wright and his wife Denise ran the Mexborough Arms in the leafy village of Thorner, near Leeds, where news of the shooting has left customers shocked.

In February 2006 under the Wrights' stewardship the pub won Best Traditional Pub in the Yorkshire Evening Post Nightlife Awards.

A regular said that Mr Wright had run the venue in Main Street, as a family-style pub providing meals and live music. He had been surprised when told suddenly that the couple were leaving the business.

The current landlord, Paul Stephenson, said that Mr Wright was his former business partner and director of their pub company.

Police are believed to have considered whether Mr Wright was shot by mistake and that someone else was the target. It is also reported police may be probing a link to a family dispute. Police have declined to comment on either theory.

Det Supt Bill Shackleton said earlier that it was believed that the shooting was "not a random attack".

After the shooting police took away members of Mr Wright's family for protection and sealed off approaches to their home.

A forensic protection tent was erected over the rear garden of the property where it is believed Mr Wright – who has two grown-up sons and a daughter – lives with Denise.

Approach roads to the property at the centre of a council estate were also cordoned off with blue and white marker tape.

So far it is believed that the weapon used in the shooting has not been found.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page