A landmark Leeds building which housed the YEP could soon be bulldozed after a demolition order has been submitted to Leeds City Council.
The five-storey Yorkshire Post Newspapers premises, at Wellington Street, went up for sale last year.
The majority of workers left have moved to new offices at nearby Number 1 Leeds, at Whitehall Road.
It has been the home of the now Johnston Press-owned Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Evening Post for 42 years.
The huge joint newsroom was often referred to as the ‘bunker’ as it was surrounded by grey concrete, with small windows.
The official ‘Determination for demolition of former Yorkshire Post newspaper print works and offices’ was submitted to Leeds City Council on September 5.
The sprawling site was opened in 1970 by Prince Charles when it housed more than 1,300 staff.
It was designed from 1968-1970 by John Madin, who was the architect of a number of significant buildings in the 1960s, including BBC Pebble Mill studios in Birmingham. Mr Madin said: “When we started designing the building in the mid 60s materials were still difficult to get hold of and expensive because construction was suffering after the war. Concrete was inexpensive and easy to use.”
English Heritage said in February that the building would not be listed.
Helen Oldham, managing director of Johnston Press Yorkshire, confirmed that an application to demolish the existing structures had been submitted.
Paul Fox, of Fox Lloyd Jones, is the agent handling the sale.
He said the application had been submitted to encourage ongoing discussions, and added: “The site has attracted wide-ranging interest for a multitude of uses.”