Desperate families have been given a lifeline as a new foodbank hits the road in west Leeds.
A mobile food store, which is believed to be one of the first of its kind in the north of England, has been launched in Old Farnley.
And cash-strapped families have already turned to it for emergency food parcels within hours of it opening.
Lucy Pitkin, West Leeds Foodbank co-ordinator, said families would often walk from the area to other foodbank sessions in Farsley just for food for their children.
She said: “People do walk when they are desperate to feed their children.
“It just goes to show the need during the summer.
“We have seen an increase for emergency food parcels this summer.
“I would estimate that we have seen a 40 per cent increase in people coming to us during the holidays but that also means that we need 40 per cent more food to cope.”
The foodbank, which plans to open a further two sessions in west Leeds, has warned that it needs at least NINE TONNES of food to cope with the demand.
More than 4,000 kilos of food have been distributed to desperate people across the city, since the Yorkshire Evening Post launched its Feed A Family campaign last month.
Lucy added: “The need for food is growing at the same time so the food is just going straight back out as soon as it comes in.”
More than 250 children needed emergency food parcels to stop them going to bed hungry over the first THREE weeks of the summer holidays in Leeds.
And there are fears more families will be forced to turn to the city’s network of foodbanks as they struggle to balance their finances in the final few days of the summer break.
* Volunteers will hold a collection at Pudsey Asda on Friday, August 29.
COLLECTIONS TO HELP BOOST CITY’S FOODBANKS
* East leeds: Oxford Place Methodist centre, on Mon and Thur 2pm to 4pm.
* North Leeds: Moor Allerton Methodist Church, Alderton Rise, on Mon, Wed and Fri from 11am to 1pm or Lister Hill Baptist Church, Horsforth, 2pm to 4pm on Wed and Fri, 10am to noon Sat.
* South Leeds: Middleton Methodist Church on Wed from 9.30am to 4pm; drop off food at Hunslet Methodist Church, Telford Terrace on Wed from 10am to noon.
* West Leeds: 13 Redlane Mill, Farsley on Tue from 10am to 4pm. Collection points are also located at Tesco, in Bramley; Asda, in Pudsey; Morrish Solicitors, in Pudsey, and The Mill Kitchen, in Farsley.
Milk (UHT or powdered)
Fruit juice (carton)
Sponge Pudding (tinned)
Rice Pudding (tinned)
Tea bags/instant coffee
Instant Mashed potato