Youngsters proved they were first class first aiders at a regional competition.
The team of five pupils, aged 12 and 13, from Rossett School competed against a record number of young first aiders at a competition run by St John Ambulance.
The school, who won the regional final, are set to take part in the competition’s national finals in June.
Students were asked to react to first aid scenarios using real people who feigned anything from major bleeding to asthma attacks and unconsciousness.
Charlotte South, first aid and health manager at Rossett School, said: “To be judged the best of all the secondary schools in the region is a huge achievement and I’m so proud of them.
“As this is an extra curricular activity, they have had to work really hard at after-school clubs.
“We had a lovely, fun day – but the skills they’ve learned are about saving lives.
“Everybody should know first aid, it’s something everyone here knows I’m passionate about.
“I hope I’ve given some of the children that enthusiasm.”
St John Ambulance Humberside schools and community officer, Rachel Fowler, added: “We work continually to highlight how crucial it is for youngsters to learn first aid skills and emphasise that young people learning first aid also develop self-esteem, confidence and a sense of belonging.”
The Yorkshire Evening Post has teamed up with St John Ambulance as part of our First Aid For All campaign to train an army of 500 lifesavers in Leeds.
* The YEP is giving readers the chance to win a first aid kit next week.
We will post a first aid question on Twitter and the first correct 20 answers will win a first aid kit.
LESSONS IN LIFESAVING
* St John Ambulance are offering a three-hour course at a discounted rate of just £20.
* To book a place, contact 01924 262 726 and press option four and quote discount code 20EFAAA.
* First Aid courses will be held at Shine Business Centre, Harehills Road, on:
* Friday May 2, at 10am
* Friday May 16, at 9.30am
* Wednesday, May 21, at 1pm
* Tuesday, June 3, at 9.30am
* Thursday, June 12, at 1pm
* Friday , June 27, at 10am
* Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls will host a course on Friday, April 4, at Unity Hall, in Morley, between 1pm and 4pm.