A pensioner had a lucky escape after a chip pan full of oil exploded in his kitchen.
The man had been making some chips but forgot about the pan, which set on fire.
Fire crews from Dewsbury were called to the incident on Partridge Crescent at about 11pm yesterday.
A fire service spokesman said: “In a bid to put the fire out, he did the worst thing possible - he threw water on it. What happens when you do that is the water sinks to the bottom of the pan but it then super-heated and turned to steam, which then explodes, sending the oil and the fire everywhere.
“The elderly gentleman in question had a very lucky escape - he managed to get out with minor injuries but it could have been a lot worse.
“We always advise people to turn off the power or heat, close the door, leave the house and then call us.”
The man was taken to hospital to be treated for minor burns.