DCSIMG

Contaminated beer leaves visitor to Leeds fighting for his life

David Caminal.

David Caminal.

  • by Katie Baldwin
 

A SPANIARD was left fighting for his life after drinking contaminated beer in a Leeds bar.

David Caminal suffered serious internal injuries when he was served a drink believed to have contained caustic soda at the New Conservatory in Leeds city centre.

He spent several days in intensive care in Leeds and three weeks in city hospitals, before being flown back to his home city of Barcelona.

The 47-year-old remains in hospital there where doctors are yet to understand the extent of his injuries.

Mr Caminal’s brother, Daniel, said: “This has been a devastating ordeal and has been very hard for the whole family. We were not even sure in the initial stages if David would survive.”

His family are now taking legal advice over the incident, while Leeds City Council and West Yorkshire Police have launched a joint investigation.

The TV producer had come to Leeds to work on a commercial and at lunchtime on July 19 went to the cafe bar on Albion Place with friends.

His law firm, Fieldfisher, said that Mr Caminal was offered a taster beer because he was unfamiliar with the different brands on offer.

“It is understood that cleaning of the systems at the bar was taking place and that this strong cleaning fluid had inadvertently been served with the beer,” the law firm said.

He was immediately taken ill and rushed to Leeds General Infirmary by ambulance, where he spent several days in intensive care.

“There were serious concerns at this point that he may not survive,” his lawyers said.

In total he spent three weeks at Leeds hospitals, later being transferred to St James’s, while his brother, sister and girlfriend travelled to the UK to be by his bedside.

Mr Caminal, who has a daughter, was then flown back to Barcelona by air ambulance after his lawyers arranged for funding.

His solicitor Jill Greenfield, from Fieldfisher, said: “The circumstances are really very shocking. It’s unbelievable that this could happen.

“He simply went for a beer with friends but now potentially faces lifelong complications.

“Whilst our investigations are at an early stage it is apparent to everyone that something went very tragically wrong.

“We are looking to ensure that David gets as much help as possible with his medical treatment to make the best possible recovery.”

Ms Greenfield said it was too early to say what further treatment he may need, but it was likely to include surgery to his oesophagus.

A Leeds City Council spokesman said: “On the day of the incident officers from Leeds City Council’s Health and Safety team attended the scene with West Yorkshire Police, and a joint investigation is now in progress.

“Once the investigation is concluded we will determine if any further action against the business is necessary.

“Therefore it would be inappropriate to make further comment on the investigation at this time.”

A spokesman for the New Conservatory said: “I have been instructed by my insurers not to make a comment as it is an ongoing legal case.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page