Two West Yorkshire youngsters were hailed as heroes for their first class first aid skills.
Inspirational Cody Hartley, 11, and Kayne Holden, nine, celebrated their lifesaving skills at a glittering awards ceremony in London.
The duo were shortlisted for a Young Hero award in St John Ambulance’s Everyday Hero Awards, which were hosted by Tess Daly.
Despite missing out on the top prize the youngsters’ efforts were recognised at the ceremony last night.
Inspirational Cody Hartley, from Thorpe, has raised almost £2,000 to have lifesaving defibrillators installed in her schools and she recently had the machine installed at her karate club.
She is leading the charge to have defibrillators installed in schools and public places across the country.
The Rodillian pupil first got the idea to have defibrillators installed after feeling inspired by the story of a 12-year-old boy who died from an undetected heart condition
Kayne Holden, nine, saved his mum Cherie Briggs’ life after she choked on a pea.
Kayne, from Bingley, gave her life-saving first aid to clear her airways after learning first aid just days before.
Cherie, 38, said: “They’re all heroes but obviously Kayne is my hero.”
Sue Killen, chief executive of St John Ambulance, said: “This year’s finalists have some truly remarkable stories to tell.
“It’s wonderful to be able to recognise the Everyday Heroes who are saving lives and encouraging others to do the same, so they, too, can be the difference between life and death.”
The Yorkshire Evening Post has teamed up with St John Ambulance to teach basic first aid to 500 people in Leeds.
Our First Aid For All campaign aims to teach hundreds of people the skills they need to help be the difference between life and death.
* Leeds Arena is today supporting our First Aid For All campaign by turning its lights green.
JOIN OUR TEAM OF LIFESAVERS
* St John Ambulance are offering a three-hour course at a discounted rate of just £20.
* To book your place, telephone 01924 262 726 and press option four and quote discount code 20EFAAA.
* First Aid courses will be held at Shine Business Centre, Harehills Road, on March 25 at 9.30am until 12.30pm.
* Friday May 2,from 10am.
* Friday May 16, from 9.30am.
* Wednesday, May 21, at 1pm
* Tuesday, June 3, at 9.30am
* Thursday, June 12, at 1pm.
* Friday , June 27, at 10am.
* Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls will host a course on Friday, April 4, at Unity Hall on Commercial Street, in Morley, between 1pm and 4pm.
* There will also be a course at Leeds Church Institute on April 24 at 9.30am.