The firm involved in the Olympic security shambles is now at the centre of a row over where more than 160 asylum seekers in Leeds will be rehoused.
A senior councillor says there are ongoing delays by government contractor G4S in providing accommodation for asylum seekers in the city.
G4S hit the headlines this summer when armed forces were drafted in to carry out security work at the Olympics after the firm failed to take on enough staff.
The council has provided accommodation for asylum seekers, as part of a group of local authorities in Yorkshire and Humber region, through a contract with the UK Border Agency (UKBA) since the 1990s.
In March UKBA awarded a new contract to G4S to cover the Yorkshire and Humber and North East regions.
But with the current local authority consortium contract due to expire on November 12, Coun Peter Gruen, executive councillor for neighbourhoods, expressed concerned that uncertainty still surrounds where more than 160 asylum seekers will be accommodated.
The Government had set a transition period up until September 28 to allow the movement of all the people accommodated by the council to housing options secured by G4S. This date has now had to be extended to November 12 as the company has been unable to achieve its target, said the council. As of October 30, 166 people were still being accommodated by the council.
Coun Gruen, said: “I am shocked that vulnerable people can be treated in this way.
“It is simply not fair to leave so much uncertainty with these families, and I would like urgent clarification from the government and G4S as to when the issue will be resolved.”
Earlier this year academics from universities in the region raised concerns about the awarding of the asylum seekers contract to G4S. They said they feared the process would be determined by cost and price rather than social cohesion.
A G4S spokesman said last night: “We continue to work with UKBA and local partners, including local authorities, to support people who need to be re-housed through this change of contract.”
A UK Border Agency spokesperson said: “We expect the new accommodation providers to fulfil the terms of the contract. We are working closely with them to ensure that the majority of people will continue living in their current properties. Where people do need to move proper consideration will be given to ensure minimum disruption.