Hogweed leaves West Yorkshire teenager badly burned

Oscar Sunderland, 15, needed treatment after coming into contact with giant hogwood.

Oscar Sunderland, 15, needed treatment after coming into contact with giant hogwood.

0
Have your say

A mum is warning of the dangers of toxic sap from giant weeds growing by the river Calder after her son was badly burned.

Oscar Sunderland, 15, was left with a 10cm leg burn and needing hospital treatment after coming into contact with giant hogweed.

The pupil at Kettlethorpe High School in Wakefield could be left scarred and unable to expose his leg to sunlight for up to seven years.

Oscar was kayaking with dad Mark, 47, when he walked through weeds by the river Calder in between Horbury Lagoon and Thornes Lock.

Mum Kim, 41, said: “The next day he had a pink link down his shin. On Tuesday it had blistered and got a lot bigger.”

Oscar’s GP prescribed antibiotics and he ended up in A&E. But it was only after the family did their own research that they realised it was caused by giant hogweed.