Leeds pharmacy apologises after drugs blunder

Henryka Barszczowska (centre) with her husband Andrzej and daughter Ewa Zylowska

Henryka Barszczowska (centre) with her husband Andrzej and daughter Ewa Zylowska

Have your say

A LEEDS mother said she suffered a string of side effects after her pharmacy mistakenly gave her drugs used to treat patients suffering from schizophrenia.

Henryka Barszczowska, 60, from Roundhay, suffers from restless legs syndrome and was given anti-psychotic drug risperidone in error when she collected her regular prescription from the M Manning Pharmacy on Lidgett Lane, Roundhay.

The M Manning Pharmacy on Lidgett Lane, Roundhay

The M Manning Pharmacy on Lidgett Lane, Roundhay

Mrs Barszczowska took 83 out of the 84 pack of risperidone tablets over a five-week period last September and October.

Daughter Ewa Zylowska, 28, speaking on behalf of her non-English speaking mother, said Mrs Barszczowska gradually became more tired, often sleeping all day and remaining awake all night.

Mrs Zylowska said: “She felt something was wrong with her and she thought she was going insane.

“On one night she came to me in tears, really frustrated, saying she was getting worse and feeling so unwell.”

Mrs Zylowska said when she looked at the packet she realised they were the wrong tablets and contacted the pharmacy, who advised Barszczowska to stop taking the drugs immediately and contact her GP.

Over the next three months, Mrs Zylowska says her mother experienced shakes, muscle pains, and anxiety.

Medical negligence specialists Hudgell Solicitors are investigating the circumstances of the prescription error,

Michael Manning, of M Manning Pharmacy, said: “We at Manning Pharmacy strive to provide an excellent pharmacy service and follow standard operating procedures.

“We are sorry that an error occurred in the dispensing of Mrs Barszczowska’s prescription on 15 September 2015. We have apologised in person, and advised Mrs Barszczowska of the steps that would be taken to prevent the error re-occurring. We also contacted her GP to explain what had happened.”