The fight to secure a licence for a Las Vegas-style casino in Leeds has taken an unexpected late twist.
Three parties have spent months battling it out for the right to run the so-called ‘new generation’ gaming complex.
Now, however, the Yorkshire Evening Post has learned that one of the bidders, Global Gaming Ventures, has decided to revise its plans.
And a council licensing committee meeting will next Tuesday look at whether Global’s new proposals should be accepted for consideration.
Original applications to join the casino bidding process were lodged with Leeds City Council ahead of a deadline of April 26 last year.
Five bidders were subsequently announced by the council – Global, Leeds United, London Clubs, Grosvenor and Rushbond.
The YEP then revealed in November that Grosvenor and Rushbond had pulled out of the race.
It had been expected that the council would make a decision on the successful bidder in May this year.
But a council report today (Feb 7) revealed that a “new” licence application – understood to be Global’s revised bid – was made on January 23.
The report says allowing the consideration of the revised plan could delay the award of the licence “for a further six months to a year”.
Talking about possible further hold-ups, it also says: “This could have a negative impact on the city.”
Global’s proposed location for its casino – Leeds’s new Eastgate Quarters development – is thought to remain unchanged.
The council today said it could not comment as the bidding was “an ongoing statutory process”.