Faulty batteries may have sparked Leeds business fire

.
.

A FIRE in the warehouse of a Leeds business may have been started by faulty batteries in a radio microphone.

Firefighters were called to a blaze at the offices of Futurist Sound and Light in Otley last night.

Around 50 per cent of the building in White Swan Yard, Boroughgate, was alight.

Business owner Jamie Hudson said much of the company’s equipment had been destroyed during the fire.

But in the spirit of a business which specialises in theatrical lighting and sound, he said the “show must go on”.

A West Yorkshire Fire Service spokeswoman said the single storey building had been loaded with cables.

Four pumps from Otley, Cookridge, Rawdon and Shipley were sent to the scene just before 9.30pm. An aerial appliance was also dispatched from Bradford Fire Station.

Crews used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels, two large jets, positive pressure ventilation fans and thermal cameras to bring the fire under control.

One crew remained on sight into the early hours as they continued to damp down.

Mr Hudson told the YEP: “Around 75 per cent of our equipment has been destroyed but we’re hoping to carry on as normal. We do a lot of shows and things. As they say, the show must go on.”

Mr Hudson said fire investigators had visited the scene today.

“They’re saying it looks like it’s the result of faulty batteries that have combusted in one of the radio microphones that we use in shows,” he said.

“They said people need to be really careful with how they dispose of batteries.”

San Carlos Flying Pizza at Roundhay Leeds 2

Restaurant review: San Carlo Flying Pizza, Roundhay, Leeds