Family’s fish finger ‘choke’ ordeal

Rhian Harris, 22, and Robert Young, 26, with their son Toby and daughter Ellie-Jay Young.
Rhian Harris, 22, and Robert Young, 26, with their son Toby and daughter Ellie-Jay Young.
0
Have your say

A dad says his daughter almost choked to death in front of him when a stray piece of cardboard got into her fish fingers.

Robert Young, from Pontefract, had just served up Ellie-Jay’s teatime favourite from his local Iceland supermarket with chips and beans when the six-year-old began to choke.

Robert said: “It was horrible. I’ve never experienced anything in my life like it.”

Grimsby-based suppliers Youngs have admitted the stray piece came from the production process and have apologised and vowed to tighten up safety procedures. 
A spokesman added: “We wrote to apologise to the consumer offering a Postal Order reimbursement and gesture of our concern and goodwill. We would like to reassure him that our factories operate to the highest standards.”

STILL HOPEFUL: Campaigners from Kirkstall Valley Development Trust at Abbey Milsl in Kirkstall. From left: Fiona Butler, Chris Hill, Paul Holdsworth and Adele Rae.

‘Solution’ at last for 12-year saga of historic Leeds mill’s fate?