A 15-year-old boy accused of stabbing Leeds teacher Ann Maguire was today remanded in custody until a possible trial hearing later this year.
No application for bail was made on the youngster’s behalf when he appeared at Leeds Crown Court via a video link this morning.
During the 15-minute hearing the teenager confirmed his name before prosecutor Paul Greany, QC, explained the purpose of the hearing.
Mr Greaney said: “The defendant...is 15 years old and, as everyone knows, he is charged with the murder of Mrs Ann Maguire, his teacher, April 28.”
Mr Greaney said the teenager had appeared before the Youth Court yesterday (May 1) but the court did not have the power to grant him bail.
Richard Wright, QC, representing the youth, said: “We do not make any application for bail today.”
The dark-haired teenager, who had one arm in a cast cast, appeared on screen flanked a male and a female officer and was wearing a yellow and purple sweatshirt and trousers.
A provisional trial date was set for November 3 and the teenager was remanded into youth detention accommodation. He will appear before the court for another hearing on July 11.
The teenager answered “yes” after being asked by judge Geoffrey Marson, QC, whether understood what had been said.
Judge Marson, QC, also issued stark warning to the media not to publish or broadcast material which may prejudice the teenager’s trial.
He said: “What may not be understood by many is that these constraints and probhibitions apply also generally, including users of online social media sites and bloggers.
“They are just as much bound by these constraints as the press.”