Updated: Leeds family back warning over dog treats deliberately laced with rat poison after pet’s lucky escape

Cereal laced with rat poison found in Guiseley last week. Picture from White Cross Vets.

Cereal laced with rat poison found in Guiseley last week. Picture from White Cross Vets.

0
Have your say

Leeds pet owners are being warned of cereal, meat and dog treats that have been deliberately laced with rat poison and left out for dogs to eat.

White Cross Vets, in Guiseley, is urging dog owners to be vigilant after cereal mixed with rat poison was left near Guiseley Football Club last week and poisoned treats were found scattered on the footbridge at Netherfield Road on Sunday.

Guiseley dog Monty was rushed to the vets after trying to eat the poison.

Guiseley dog Monty was rushed to the vets after trying to eat the poison.

The warning comes after a Guiseley dog called Monty was treated after eating cereal contaminated with the potentially lethal rat poison pellets.

Monty, a 15-month-old miniature Schnauzer, was on a walk with Simon and Karen Carbutt when they saw him nibble at the pellets on Friday at 12.15pm.

He was rushed to the vets, given an injection to make him vomit and is now faring well.

“We were very fortunate, it could have been a lot worse,” Simon, 47, said. “It’s obviously concerning that somebody’s malicious enough to be doing that kind of thing. It just seems a very irresponsible, extreme and malicious thing to do.”

Police have been informed of the incidents, which White Cross claims come just over a year since marshmallows containing poison, screws and ball bearings were found in the area.

Rod Beardshall, from the vets, warned pet owners to be vigilant and said symptoms of poisoning include passing blood, vomiting and pale gums.

“Thankfully we have been able to successfully treat Monty and he doesn’t appear to have suffered any lasting damage but others might not be so lucky,” he said. “Dogs are naturally inquisitive and will nearly always pick food up so owners need to keep a particularly close eye on them at the moment to make sure they don’t eat rogue substances which could have devastating consequences.”

He added: “It’s terrible to think that people could be so cruel to try and harm a dog in this way and we would urge anyone that sees anything suspicious to contact the police straight away.”

To inform police call the non-emergency 101 number or to contact White Cross Vets with concerns call 01943 873147.