An inquest is set to be held this summer into the death of University of Leeds student Jagdip Randhawa – nearly five years after the teenager was killed in a one-punch attack by a semi-professional boxer.
Super-middleweight fighter Clifton Mitchell was jailed for seven years in 2012 after a Leeds Crown Court jury convicted him of 19-year-old Mr Randhawa’s manslaughter.
The jury was told that Mr Randhawa, who was studying English at the University of Leeds, was punched by Mitchell and suffered a serious brain injury after hitting his head on the ground during a night out in Leeds city centre in the early hours of October 12, 2011.
He was taken to Leeds General Infirmary but never recovered and died five days later.
Leeds Crown Court heard Mr Randhawa may have survived had he not been put on a faulty ventilator in hospital.
A pre-inquest review hearing in Wakefield last week heard the Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating Derbyshire Police’s response to alleged breaches of bail committed by Mitchell, from Derby, before the attack.
West Yorkshire assistant coroner Kevin McLoughlin said he had reviewed submissions made on behalf of Mr Randhawa’s family and decided a full inquest should be held under article two of the European Convention of Human Rights.
Mr McLoughlin said: “I now accept there is sufficient reason to resume the inquest and to examine the police response to the alleged breaches of bail and the functioning of the ventilator at hospital and the care received by Mr Randhawa.”
Mitchell was cleared of murder but convicted of manslaughter after a seven-day trial in July 2012, when he was aged 21. Leeds Crown Court heard he had several previous convictions for violent offences.
A second pre-inquest review hearing is set to be held in Wakefield on April 1 and a provisional inquest date of August 22 has been proposed.