Eight suspects aged between 18 and 38 now being held in Manchester bomb probe

1
Have your say

Eight suspects aged between 18 and 38 are in custody in connection with the Manchester bombing, counter-terror detectives have revealed.

Greater Manchester Police have provided the first full breakdown of the arrests made in the huge investigation to establish whether there was a "network" behind Salman Abedi's suicide attack at Manchester Arena on Monday night.

Queen talks to Harrogate girl about 'wicked' attack as she visits hospital treating Manchester wounded
Armed police are patrolling trains for the first time in UK history
Manchester Terror Attack: Bomber phoned mother for 'forgiveness'
Mum of Leeds student killed in terror attack: 'You made me so proud with all you achieved'
Extra armed police deployed in West Yorkshire after terror threat raised to critical
Bill Carmichael: Terrorism – David Blunkett was right all along on extremist threat
Manchester terror attack: Parents of brave Sheffield woman Kelly Brewster "devastated" by tragic loss
In total 10 individuals were detained between Tuesday and Friday. All were held "on suspicion of offences contrary to the Terrorism Act".

A 16-year-old boy arrested in Withington on Thursday and a 34-year-old woman arrested In Blackley on Wednesday have been released without charge.

Those still in custody are:

* Ismail Abedi, 24, the bomber's brother, arrested in Whalley Range, south Manchester, on Tuesday.

Police have arrested another man in Manchester.

Police have arrested another man in Manchester.

* An 18-year-old man, a 21-year-old man and a 24-year-old man arrested during a swoop on the Fallowfield area of the city on Wednesday.

* A 33-year-old man held in Wigan, having been detained carrying a suspicious package on Wednesday.

* A 22-year-old man arrested in Nuneaton at gunpoint by counter-terror officers on Wednesday.

* A 38-year-old man arrested in Blackley, north-east Manchester, on Thursday.

Police raided further addresses in Manchester and Liverpool this morning.

Police raided further addresses in Manchester and Liverpool this morning.

* A 30-year-old man detained in the early hours of Friday morning in Moss Side, south Manchester.

A search of an address in St Helens, Merseyside, concluded on Friday morning, police said, although it remained unclear how it was connected to the atrocity at Manchester Arena.

In Moss Side, a cordon was in place around the Fade Away barbershop in Princess Road, near to the junction of Claremont Road, which neighbours said had been closed since Monday's attack.

It is understood that an armed response unit arrived in Princess Road in the early hours of the morning and that the shutter to the barbershop was cut open at about 5.15am.

Police have yet to confirm if the raid was in connection with the ongoing investigation into the suicide bombing.

Greater Manchester Police previously hailed the "significant" arrests made and the "very important" items seized in raids as they attempt to close the net on Abedi's suspected terror network.

Elsewhere, security minister Ben Wallace told BBC Radio 4's Today programme there was no specific threat against an individual event at the moment.

He also said that standby notices issued to NHS staff - which means health organisations have to be on alert in the run-up to the bank holiday in case of another attack - were precautionary.

Whitehall sources revealed on Thursday that security services are managing around 500 active investigations relating to 3,000 people of interest.

Abedi was known to security services before his deadly assault, sources previously confirmed.

"All those people are in the mix and they have to be looked at," said Mr Wallace.

"And then below the 3,000 is another 12,000 people who have in the past come to our attention and haven't necessarily shown signs of doing anything at all, or no longer posing a risk.

"All of that is predominately underpinned by intelligence, which as I'm sure you will understand and the courts certainly understand, unfortunately the hardest part is we've got to convert intelligence into evidence if we actually want to deprive people of their liberty or take certain steps."

The General Election campaign has relaunched after three days - with Jeremy Corbyn bringing the issue of terrorism into the political arena.

The Labour leader was expected to launch a veiled attack on the Conservatives for underfunding the police service at a time of heightened threat, while linking Britain's overseas military campaigns with terrorism at home.

With Britain still braced for an "imminent" attack, Home Secretary Amber Rudd said she expected the "critical" assessment of the terror threat will be in place for the coming days.

A relative of the 22-year-old bomber said he had felt increasing frustration at his treatment in the UK, heightened after a friend was fatally knifed in what he perceived to be a religious hate crime.

She added Abedi began referring to others in the country as "infidels" who were "unjust to Arabs".

Libyan authorities, who are questioning his parents and siblings, claimed he made a final phone call to his mother on the eve of the attack, in which he said: "Forgive me."

Music fans were targeted at an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena in the worst terrorist attack on British soil since the July 7 bombing in London in 2005.

Speaking after chairing a meeting of the Government's emergency Cobra committee, Ms Rudd disclosed that the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre has assessed that the terror threat level should remain at critical while the "live" police operation continues.

The rating was raised to critical, the highest level, for the first time in a decade in the wake of the Manchester outrage. It indicates that an attack may be imminent.

Read more...

Queen talks to Harrogate girl about 'wicked' attack as she visits hospital treating Manchester wounded
Armed police are patrolling trains for the first time in UK history
Manchester Terror Attack: Bomber phoned mother for 'forgiveness'
Mum of Leeds student killed in terror attack: 'You made me so proud with all you achieved'
Extra armed police deployed in West Yorkshire after terror threat raised to critical
Bill Carmichael: Terrorism – David Blunkett was right all along on extremist threat
Manchester terror attack: Parents of brave Sheffield woman Kelly Brewster "devastated" by tragic loss

A North East Lincolnshire rogue trader who tricked 16 homeowners, including a woman from Crowle, out of hundreds of thousands of pounds has been jailed for over six years.

North East Lincolnshire rogue trader jailed for tricking homeowners out of hundreds of thousands of pounds