A schoolboy has hailed his mum as a hero for saving his life.
Quick-thinking Michaela Hamilton sprang into action as her son Samuel Hosty desperately struggled to breathe after choking on a sweet while visiting a Leeds shopping centre.
Samuel struggled to breathe but his cool-headed mum hit him on the back to dislodge the sweet from his throat during a visit to the White Rose Shopping Centre.
But the 44-year-old was so shaken by the incident that she booked herself on to a first aid course that night.
The Holy Trinity Primary School pupil thanked his mum and said: “She’s my hero and she is awesome.
“I love her and I just want to say thank you.
“It was quite scary and it just happened so quickly.”
Michaela, who lives in Ossett, added: “He just started to choke on some rock and it was the size of a ten pence piece.
“His face was just in pure shock and he shook his head when I asked him if he could breathe.
“Afterwards he told me he thought he was dying and I just wondered what would have happened if the rock hadn’t come out.”
The Yorkshire Evening Post has teamed up with St John Ambulance as part of our First Aid For All campaign to teach first aid to 500 people in Leeds.
And now Michaela is urging more parents to sign up to learn how to help their children in an emergency.
She added: “It was a frightening experience.It happened so quickly and it shook me up for days especially when I think about what could have happened.
“I am just so thankful and I feel more confident after learning first aid.”
LEARN TO BE A LIFESAVER
* St John Ambulance are offering a three-hour course to Yorkshire Evening Post readers at a discounted rate of just £20.
* To book your place, telephone 01924 262 726 and press option four and quote discount code 20EFAAA.
* First aid courses will also be held at Shine Business Centre, Harehills Road, on Friday , June 27, between 10am and 1pm
* Friday, July 4, at 10am
* Thursday, July 17, at 9.30am
* Tuesday, July 29, at 10am
* Wednesday, August 6, at 9.30am
* Monday, August 18, at 10am
* Friday, August 29, at 9.30am
* Wednesday, September 10, at 10am
* Friday, September 19, at 9.30am
* Friday, September 26, at 10am